Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Gastroparesis a new bump in the road.





Fun diagnosis.....

So another day on my new Journey through life. I am finding myself becoming stronger today. The news is devastating to me. In high school I was very sick, very very sick with misdiagnoses being the order of the day. Well....now on top of all of it I'm going back to that moment when I was told I could only eat soft foods. For two years I ate Jello, soup, and watered down everything well...back to that point again. Back then it was mono, now it's something more serious Gastroparesis. 

Gastroparesis literally translated means “stomach paralysis”. Gastroparesis is a digestive disorder in which the motility of the stomach is either abnormal or absent. In healthy people, when the stomach is functioning normally, contractions of the stomach help to crush ingested food and then propel the pulverized food into the small intestine where further digestion and absorption of nutrients occurs. When the condition of gastroparesis is present the stomach is unable to contract normally, and therefore cannot crush food nor propel food into the small intestine properly. Normal digestion may not occur.


Symptoms of gastroparesis include bloating, nausea, early fullness while eating meals, heartburn, and epigastric pain. These symptoms are often referred to as dyspepsia. Ingestion of solid foods, high fiber foods such as raw fruits and vegetables, fatty foods or drinks high in fat or carbonation may cause symptoms. Perhaps the most common symptom is early satiety, or the sensation of feeling full shortly after starting a meal. Nausea and vomiting are also common. A person with gastroparesis may regurgitate or vomit undigested food many hours after their last meal. Weight loss can occur due to poor absorption of nutrients, or taking in too few calories.


I don't know where this is going to take me. 

But at least now I have an answer, so now a liquid / soft foods diet. I can't win. I'm going to go back to the Infernal devices books and to my hero Jem Carstairs because he is a real inspiration to me to fight and be a warrior in this journey down the long illness road and it's not fun. I have the more severe fun as my stomach only empties maybe 40 percent. 

Yesterday I was devastated....today....I'm going to fight this just like I've fought every setback. Nerve blocks later this week to ward off migraines, 15 injections. Hopefully we find a way to manage this and every other thing that comes along. I might have Gastroparesis and have to change, but I will embrace this change like I do all others and go with it. Gastroparesis will never have me. 

Just like Jem, I'm fighting back. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment